Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering, Nazarbayev University.
Mathematical modelling and analysis of electrochemical and thermal management of lithium-ion batteries; generation of electrical power from mechanical motion; electronic structure calculations; energy solutions for hybrid vehicles.
Current Funded Research Projects (Participant)
Advanced techniques for high energy density materials for renewable energy storage.
State Medal for Merit in Development of Science within the Republic of Kazakhstan, 2014. (Awarded by the Minister of Education for Kazakhstan)
State Medal for Honoured Worker in Education within the Republic of Kazakhstan, 2015. (Awarded by the President of Kazakhstan)
PhD degree in Fluid Dynamics (Imperial College of Science, Medicine and Technology, University of London).
Aerospace Engineer, NASA Ames Research Center, Mountain View, California.
Senior Research Engineer, the National Physical Laboratory (NPL), Teddington, U.K.
Senior Aerospace Engineer, British Aerospace, Warton, Lancs., U.K.
CFD Engineer, CHAM Ltd., Wimbledon, London, U.K.
Chartered Engineer (CEng).
Member, Royal Aeronautical Society (RAeS).
Senior Member, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA).
Société Européenne pour la Formation Ingénieurs (SEFI).
- Ismailov, K., Adair, D., Massalin, Y. and Bakenov, Z. (2016), “On Using Splitter Plates and Flow Guide-Vanes for Battery Module Cooling.” Heat and Mass Transfer – published online 17/3/2016.
- Adair, D., Ismailov, K. Massalin, Y., and Bakenov, Z. (2016), “Thermal Management of Lithium/Sulphur Cells using a Simple 2D Model.” Modern Environmental Science and Engineering, Vol. 2, No. 4, pp.1-8.
- Adair, D. and Jaeger, M (2016), “Simulation of Tapered Rotating Beams with Centrifugal Stiffening by the Adomian Modified Decomposition Method.” Applied Mathematical Modelling, Vol. 40 (4), pp. 3230-3241.
- Koishibay, A., Omarova, M., Yesibolati, N, Mentbayeva, A., Umirov, N., Ismailov, K., Adair, D. and Babaa, M-R. (2015), “Nickel Hexacynoferrate Nanoparticles as Cathode Material for Lithium-Ion Batteries for Large Scale Applications.” Electrochimica Acta, Vol. 184, pp. 58-63.
- Adair, D. and Jaeger, M. (2015), “Developing an Understanding of the Steps Involved in Solving Navier-Stokes Equations.” The Mathematica Journal, Vol. 17, pp. 1-19.
- Adair, D. , Bakenov, Z. and Jaeger, M. (2014), “Building on a Traditional Chemical Engineering Curriculum using Computational Fluid Dynamics.” Education for Chemical Engineers, Vol. 9, No. 3, pp. 30-38.
- Jaeger, M. and Adair, D., “Conceptual Design of High-Endurance Hybrid-Electric Aerial Vehicle.” 4th International Conference on Nanomaterials and Advanced Energy Storage Systems (INESS), Almaty, Kazakhstan, 11-12th August, 2016.
- Mukhanov, A., Abdigaliyev, A., Jangeldinov, B., Zhapparov, R., Ruderman, A. and Adair, D., “Development of a Design Tool for Optimization of Voltage Generation from a Bimorph Piezoelectric Cantilever Beam.” 4th International Conference on Nanomaterials and Advanced Energy Storage Systems (INESS), Almaty, Kazakhstan, 11-12th August, 2016.
- Adair, D. and Alimaganbetov, M., “Propeller Wing Aerodynamic Interference for Small UAVs during VSTOL.” 56th Israel Annual Conference on Aerospace Sciences, Tel Aviv/Haifa, 9-10th March, 2016.
- Adair, D., Hara, T., Ismailov, K., Massalin, Y. and Bakenov, Z., “Analytical Modelling of Planar Potential and Current Distributions in Electrodes of Lithium-Ion Batteries.” 56th Battery Conference Japan, Nagoya, Japan, 11-13th, November, 2015.
- Ismailov, K., Adair, D., Massalin, Y. and Bakenov, Z., “Forced Air-Cooling Strategies for Lithium-Ion Batteries using Integral Wake Splitters and Flow Guide-Vanes.” 228th ECS Meeting, Phoenix, AZ, 11-16th October, 2015.
- Adair, D., Ellis, G., Mentbayeva, A. and Bakenov, Z., “Simulating Lithium-Ion Cells Performance using an Equivalent Circuit Approach.” 3rd International Conference on Nanomaterials and Advanced Energy Storage Systems, Astana , 2-4th September, 2015.
- Adair, D. and Jaeger, M., “Preparing Mechanical Engineering Design Students for Computational Fluid Dynamics Code Development.” ICEE-2015, Zagreb, Croatia, 20-24th July, 2015.
- Adair, D., Ismailov, K. and Bakenov, Z., “Thermal Management of Li-ion Battery Packs.” Comsol Conference, Churchill College, Cambridge University, UK, 17-19th September, 2014.
- Adair, D. and Ismailov, K., “Battery Thermal Management in EVs and HEVs.” 2nd International Seminar on Nanomaterials and Advanced Energy Storage Systems, 9-10th September, 2014, Astana, Kazakhstan.
- Adair, D., Kalimuldina, G. and Bakenov, Z., “Thermal Modelling of a Lithium-ion Aqueous Battery.” 224th ECS Meeting, San Francisco, CA, 27th October – 1st November , 2013.
- Adair, D., Babaa, M.-R., Ismailov, K. and Bakenov, Z., “Numerical Modelling of Sulphur Nano-Composite Formation using Spray Pyrolysis under Atmospheric and Low-Pressure Conditions.” 63rd Canadian Chemical Engineering Conference, Fredericton, NB, 20-23rd October, 2013.